We’d love you to join our growing product development team whose mission is to create people-centric software experiences that empower our local news and digital partners. True to our purpose, we help small teams play big!
Be part of a digital media landscape in the midst of rapid change; our team is at the center of new content, marketing, operations, and revenue-sustainable experience that puts product, people and performance first. You will be a leader in SEO, working across our newsroom and product teams, to improve our search presence and content relevancy across the many US media markets in our portfolio, such as the Denver Post, San Jose Mercury News, the Boulder Daily Camera, and the St. Paul Pioneer Press. Check out our local news portfolio to see if we operate in a market near you.
As part of the broader Product Development team, you will contribute to a culture that prioritizes continuous learning, autonomous decision-making, agility, and pragmatism. Join us to kick-start your career at a company that offers substantial personal and professional growth opportunities via a hands-on learning approach and a flexible working style.
About This Role
This hands-on role is responsible for analyzing, pinpointing, and solving for SEO deficiencies across a set of launched and in-progress local news sites. The ideal candidate is a proactive problem solver that likes to improve on how we run today but should be running tomorrow. The candidate shall audit upcoming and historic product and site launches, and understand technical SEO deficiencies using Google analytics tools. Ability to identify, plan + prioritize, and execute technical SEO recommendations with the product development and analytics team, within an Agile framework. Ability to research technical issues and make actionable and well-informed recommendations based on your findings. Should be able to pass recommendations back to newsrooms and communicate them in laymen’s terms and organize work to solve the problem.
The ideal candidate will be highly detail-oriented and possess a natural tendency toward analytical thinking, with effective communication skills and a demonstrated history of experimenting with technology.
- Use analytics tools to audit and provide a comprehensive analysis of technical SEO deficiencies and opportunities against the roadmap, site migrations, and prior launches
- Ability to identify, plan + prioritize, and execute technical SEO recommendations with the product development and analytics team, within an Agile framework
- Ability to understand and improve performance metrics (LCP, TLS, etc.) and user experience with Lighthouse
- Prioritize findings to help understand where there are platform opportunities and newsroom opportunities
- Execute on day-to-day search initiatives, including news and trends research, keyword research, content gap analysis, optimization of existing content and competitor analysis
- Provide editorial teams with SEO opportunities for timely topics and events, and support trending content strategy that encompasses text, images, long and short-form video
- Apply comprehensive SEO fundamentals including writing meta, verifying SEO friendly page elements, creating target keyword lists and maximizing link architecture
- Create best practice SEO documentation and influence cross-department workflows
- Stay on top of SEO / Publishing industry news and search algorithm changes
- Train and educate stakeholders
Competencies & Skills
- 5+ years of experience in SEO
- Applicants must submit websites to demonstrate SEO ability, be prepared to discuss
- Overall expertise in technical SEO; in optimizing crawl budget, sitemaps, canonicals, page speed, etc
- Expert in web analytics tools and concepts within Google Analytics and Search Console
- Experience using search tools (Content King, SEMRush, Sistrix, Screaming Frog etc.)
- Experience and understanding of the effect of site migrations and responsive projects on technical SEO
Nice to haves:
- Experience in news and publishing
- Experience working with breaking and evergreen content types
- Experience with content management systems and the specific needs of publishers
The annual salary range is $90,000-$110,000. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, time in role, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, MediaNews Group offers a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, and a 401K plan (all benefits are based on eligibility). Unlimited PTO is included in the offer.