Hi. We’re UpBuild, a digital marketing agency specializing in technical SEO, web analytics, and digital marketing strategy. We’re looking to add another awesome person to our team. UpBuild has been hard at work becoming an established agency over the last six years, and the time has come for us to expand our team by bringing on another talented Senior Marketing Strategist — a role that is the pillar upon which the company is built.
About the Position
Each Senior Marketing Strategist:
- Works independently, but is never in it alone — we call ourselves a team for a reason.
- Is the point person on 3 to 4 client accounts (that’s 4, not 40), which means they are responsible for client communication and satisfaction, own most of the day-to-day work, and work with the Vice President of Strategy and/or the Senior Strategy Lead to plan overall direction on accounts, and delegate tasks to supporting team members and provide them with thoughtful direction and feedback.
- Brings in-depth expertise in SEO, analytics, and conversion rate optimization to the organization.
- Thinks creatively and critically to make their deliverables the best they can be and to delight their clients.
- Contributes to UpBuild’s thought leadership in the space through blogging, tool development, webinars, public speaking, and/or other comparable initiatives.
- Is a vital part of the UpBuild team, providing support and collaborating with other Senior Marketing Strategists.
- Spends time learning independently and with the UpBuild team, taking classes, and attending conferences and webinars.
- Under normal circumstances, may need to travel (paid by us, of course) a few times per year for client visits and/or company retreats (aside from one optional in-person team event in 2022, no other travel is expected this year).
- Likes the sound of a $60k to $70k starting annual salary range.
Over the course of your career, you:
- Have worked in SEO for 3 years or more, preferably with at least some of that time spent in an agency setting.
- Have proven expertise in our core disciplines: analytics and SEO. Preferably, you also have experience in complementary disciplines such as CRO, authority building, or content strategy as well.
- Have a working understanding of how websites are built and function (HTML, CSS, information architecture, etc).
- Can explain to a non-developer what the building blocks of a website are, how indexable content is delivered to a search bot or human website user, what cookies are, and how analytics data is collected, etc.
- Are proficient in using tools of the SEO trade such as: Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, & Search Console; site crawl tools such as Screaming Frog or DeepCrawl; spreadsheets (doesn’t have to be Excel; we use Google Docs for everything); and SEO tools (such as Moz, SEMRush, Majestic, Raven, Ahrefs — everyone uses different tools in different ways, but you should understand what these tools are and how to use them to do what you need to do).
- Have experience speaking at public events, writing blog posts, and/or finding unique and creative ways to use web technology for digital marketing.
- Bonus points if you have experience/interest in: marketing automation; headless browsing; mobile app development; progressive web apps; Angular, React, Gatsby, or other JS Frameworks; analyzing log files; website personalization; data visualization; user experience; Chrome extension development; REST APIs; or machine learning.
Formal education in marketing, business, data science, etc. is great, but not required. The same goes for having a college degree — no one gets a degree in digital optimization or web analytics anyway. A track record of getting exceptional results, successfully managing client/team relationships, and being stoked about startup culture and optimization is what really counts.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary, starting between $60,000 and $70,000 (plus bonuses and benefits)
- Flexible schedule (office hours are 9 AM until 2:30 PM Pacific Monday-Friday, other than that you’re free to get your work done when it works best for you)
- Progressive PTO policy & paid holidays — 24+ days off per year
- 8+ weeks family leave for new parents (with plans to increase as we grow)
- Annual Home Office Allowance of $500 to use on your personal workspace
- Ongoing education & training opportunities (e.g., conferences, CodeAcademy, tuition reimbursement)
- Quarterly profit sharing & bonus plan
- 100% Health & Dental/100% for spouses and registered domestic partners
- 401(k) with matching
- Co-working allowance to spend on whatever outside-the-house working environment works for you, whether that’s a co-working space or coffee at the local coffee shop
- Full-time remote work (i.e., full control of the office thermostat, choice of music, no commuting) — you don’t have to worry about our “return to office” plan because we’ve been fully distributed from day one