Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As the Senior Director of SEO, you will be a valuable member of the Marketing organization and report to the VP of Growth Product Management. You will lead a high-impact, high-visibility team that is responsible for the success of the SEO program: the strategy, the processes, the reporting and the performance for what is one of Toptal’s key business channels. The SEO team at Toptal is responsible for driving sustainable organic growth to Toptal’s public websites and landing pages. Leading our talented SEO Directors, Outreach Managers and their wider SEO teams, you will be expected to take full ownership of SEO OKRs and the execution of the initiatives that achieve them. You will work cross-functionally with Product, Marketing, Content, and Publications teams to implement your team’s vision, regularly reporting to both the Executive team and the wider business on progress and performance.
You will be expected to deliver what is necessary to maximize long-term rankings and qualified traffic from Toptal’s existing products. You will also deliver identification of new search spaces to build into; both in transactional landing pages and in the higher funnel, long-tail areas. In addition to owning the acquisition of organic traffic for your business area of Toptal, you will be expected to lead the experimentation program for these pages – both in terms of rankings optimization (title, headings, schema tests, etc.), and working with our Growth Product team on conversion optimization (CTAs, conversion modules, trust messaging, etc.).
In addition to leading the implementation of SEO strategy, you will be responsible for developing the wider on-page and off-page SEO program at Toptal, including the progression and development of Toptal’s internal tool and software development to enable increased insights, data, and speed of implementation to all SEO and Growth initiatives.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- As the Senior Director of Toptal’s SEO team, you will be accountable for the growth, development, and evolution of the SEO program at Toptal and the long-term success of this program.
- You will be chiefly responsible for communicating SEO strategy, progress and performance to the executive team and the wider business.
- You will lead a team of SEO Directors, Managers, Specialists, Data Analysts and a dedicated Outreach program to achieve success for the SEO program – setting their strategy, direction, coaching and giving feedback as required to maximize their output and potential.
- You will collaborate closely with stakeholders across Marketing Strategy, Communications and PR, Paid Media and particularly the Growth Product and Engineering teams dedicated to SEO to execute your team’s strategies.
- You will develop and maintain highly transparent and well-communicated methodologies for your strategies, with a focus on objective data, providing regular updates on progress and challenges.
- You will drive thought leadership and coaching through the SEO team, drive awareness and understanding of SEO requirements and research to the Product team, and drive communication of SEO performance and plans to the senior leadership team.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal. Meet the teams and people you will have long-term working relationships with.
- Meet the SEO Directors, Outreach Manager, and key contacts across Marketing.
- Familiarize yourself with current and past SEO strategies and tactics.
- Assess and evaluate current SEO performance, opportunities, competitors, and areas of focus.
In the first month, expect to:
- Take ownership of the SEO roadmap, using your initial evaluation and opportunity assessment to prioritize.
- Meet the wider SEO team and other business stakeholders.
- Work directly with the Growth Product team, Content team, and wider SEO and Marketing teams to plan and execute.
- Learn and assess the existing SEO and technology stacks.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Revise the SEO roadmap and set an initial course for 6-12 months of SEO initiatives.
- Contribute to the development of sophisticated internal SEO tooling to quantify performance and opportunities.
- Craft dashboards that improve transparency and accountability of SEO and begin reporting on SEO performance to the wider business.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Continue growing as the SEO thought leader and motivate and inspire our dynamic SEO team.
- Ensure that the SEO team is accurately staffed, adapting the team and growth plans to meet the needs of your long-term strategy.
- Build the SEO education framework that enables all support functions to deliver content, design, PR and product in line with SEO objectives.
In the first year, expect to:
- Reshape the SEO teams to deliver on the long-term strategy and OKRs that maximizes organic performance.
- Identify and target advanced, big picture, and highly ambitious opportunities on and beyond Toptal.com, including site acquisitions, mergers, partnerships and similar projects.
- Minimum 5 years of recent experience leading an SEO program.
- Prior experience in analytics, product, or web development.
- Experience in leading and coaching senior team members and directors.
- Experience communicating SEO performance strategies to executive level stakeholders.
- Deep understanding of fundamental SEO concepts such as E-A-T, PageRank, and the Reasonable Surfer Model.
- Extensive experience collaborating with engineers, product managers, and marketers to accomplish SEO objectives.
- The ability and willingness to review, with meticulous attention to detail, all of the final output that the SEO team produces.
- A quick, strategic mind with exceptional experience leading highly analytical teams.
- Extensive experience interviewing candidates for senior positions and a keen eye for talent with potential SEO leadership ability.
- A lean, data-driven, process and KPI-oriented mentality.
- A belief in moving first in SEO, possessing an inquisitive mindset that favors SEO testing and your own observed SEO data versus hive-mind, SEO groupthink and unproven “best practices”.
- A bias for action and the ability to foster a results-driven mentality in your team that should be persistent by nature and unwilling to leave problems unsolved.
- Excellent, clear, and direct communication skills, both written and verbal, and experience working with senior leadership.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.