Digital marketing for a leading outdoor guidebook publishing company
Cicerone is a leading publisher of guidebooks for walkers, trekkers, mountaineers, and cyclists. Our 370 guidebooks span the UK, Europe and much of the world, and are sold in many countries, in specialist and general outlets, as well as online.
From our offices in Kendal, our team on 18 works closely with our network of authors, printers, distributors, retailers, media, and partners around the world.
For over 50 years we have had one simple mission: to give people a great time on the hill. We believe in creating the best possible guidebooks and offering a high level of service to our customers.
Reporting directly to our Sales and Marketing Director and collaborating closely with our Marketing and Communications Manager, this role plays a pivotal part in the Cicerone marketing team. Your mission: to drive increased traffic to the Cicerone website, orchestrate high-impact marketing campaigns, and elevate global awareness of the Cicerone brand.
While a solid foundation in marketing is essential, what truly sets our ideal candidate apart is the ability to passionately convey our love for the great outdoors in a compelling manner. We’re on the lookout for exceptional copywriting skills and an authentic enthusiasm for all things outdoors.
You’ll find yourself immersed in a wide array of responsibilities, including content creation, data analysis, team collaboration, and keeping a keen eye on market trends. The journey ahead promises both challenges and excitement, as you actively contribute to Cicerone’s growth objectives while delivering a fantastic customer experience.
Responsibilities will include
- Creating content: Writing articles, marketing campaign pages and digital content for our E-Commerce store. Creating artwork, banners, and assets to be used across all channels.
- Analytics and Reporting: Analysing sales data, website traffic and user engagement to optimize our content and drive growth.
- E-Commerce: In conjunction with our third-party agency, ensure the websites remains functional, up to date, user-friendly, and primed for conversions.
- SEO: Undertake keyword research, evaluate SEO performance, and implement tactics such as link building to increase organic visibility.
- Audience Targeting: Tailor campaigns for distinct customer and product segments. Employ demographic, behavioural, and insights to segment and target audiences.
- Affiliate marketing: Maintenance of our network of affiliates.
- Teamwork: Collaborating with the team to define and action Cicerone’s marketing plan across all channels. Working alongside our Marketing and Communications Manager to support campaigns and digital marketing activity.
- Events: Attending trade shows and consumer events (typically 2-3 events per year).
- Customer service: Dealing with customers’ website issues by email and phone and liaising with our warehouse (this is a shared responsibility amongst the team).
You will have a minimum of 2 years’ experience in E-commerce, digital marketing, or a similar role, with an in depth understanding of brand led content marketing. The ability to generate, share and implement great ideas is especially important along with the capability to thrive in a small close team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A good understanding of SEO including technical, on-page and off-site elements. Awareness of current trends and Google’s best practice guidelines.
- The ability to work independently and to meet deadlines.
- An eye for good design, ideally with experience using tools such as Photoshop, InDesign, and Canva.
- A capacity for analysis and interpretation of data and information and proficiency in tools. such as GA4 (Google Analytics 4), E-Commerce platforms, Excell and other reporting tools.
- A willingness to learn.
- A passion for the outdoors.
Salary and how to apply:
This is a full-time position located at our Kendal office. Following an initial training period, we offer flexible hybrid work arrangements, allowing you to work remotely for part of the week. However, we require a minimum of three days in the office each week.
Applications by Friday 17th November 2023. Send your CV and supporting letter to Sarah Spencer at email@example.com.