With more than 50,000 boat listings available in over 700 locations worldwide, Boatsetter is the leading marketplace for on-water experiences and boat rentals. Boatsetter makes it easy to discover and enjoy a wide array of on-water experiences by connecting qualified renters directly to boat owners and licensed captains. Featuring the largest database of USCG-certified captains, Boatsetter makes it possible for even those with no prior boating experience to tap into an incredible array of water activities. Credited with pioneering the first-ever peer-to-peer boat rental insurance policy, Boatsetter has empowered boat owners with the tools and support to become entrepreneurs on the water. Launched commercially in 2014, over one million boaters and boat owners alike have turned to Boatsetter to discover the endless possibilities the water provides.
We are seeking a data-driven search engine optimization expert to help grow Boatsetter’s organic traffic. In this part-time contractor role, a successful candidate will execute on all aspects of SEO activities, from technical optimizations and site audits to keyword research, competitive analysis, link building, on-page content recommendations, and more. Serving as a valuable extension of our internal marketing, content, product, and engineering teams, you will work with a passionate group of individuals who are highly motivated and analytical—we move fast and we’re always focused on delivering quantifiable results.
Estimated weekly hours: ~20 hours. This role will report into the Head of Brand Strategy, Marketing & Communications, and will be expected to provide a formalized report/status write-up every two weeks on accomplishments and updates on key areas of focus, as well as conducting weekly check-in calls via Google Meet.
- Research, develop, and implement successful SEO strategies and future opportunities
- Complete comprehensive site technical SEO audit: Crawl and inspect site, check Google Search Console and other sources for technical search-readiness, identify and address issues affecting website performance and indexability. Prepare an audit journal/report
- Provide ongoing SEO on-page content recommendations for the Boatsetter main site, core SEO landing pages, and Boating Resources blog
- Partner with engineers to ensure SEO best practices are properly implemented on new and existing sites. Review upcoming site technology changes for SEO-readiness
- Identify crawl errors, broken links, duplicate content, and other technical obstacles that might hinder search engine visibility. Provide recommendations to the team on potential ways to optimize website speed, mobile responsiveness, and overall user experience
- Periodic site re-crawls and check-ins with the team regarding technical SEO opportunities
- Submit Jira SEO-tickets as technical issues arise, calling out priority level and urgency that issues need to be addressed as they impact overall site health
- Recommend changes to website architecture, content, linking and other factors to identify both quick wins and long-term tactics that drive improvement to secure top positions in SERP rankings for target keywords and increase search visibility
- Review Boatsetter.com for new SEO opportunities, contribution to the overall business, and potential improvements for both. Identify topics and align with appropriate ‘search intent’ (transactional, informational, navigational, or investigation)
- 2+ years of significant hands-on experience managing all SEO activities, including on-site and offsite optimization
- Expert knowledge of standard and current SEO practices and techniques
- Knowledge of HTML/CSS, as well as various CMS systems. Experience with WordPress and Contentful is a major plus.
- Experience building and delivering SEO reporting
- Proven ability to stay organized while juggling multiple projects involving cross-functional stakeholders
- Proficient in Google Analytics, including GA4, Google Search Console, and various other SEO tools, including but not limited to SEMRush, Screaming Frogs, Ahrefs
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to use data to make informed decisions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and within a team in a fast-paced environment